Monday, March 3, 2014

weekend recap + BB brownies

I don't do a lot of weekend recaps.. mostly because my weekends have been a bit boring and work-filled lately.. but this past one was definitely deserves a few words! Well, Friday at least.

I started off the day with a hot power yoga class - which is always my favorite way to start a Friday morning. My fave local studio features $5 Friday's, so when I can squeeze in a cheap class and grab a few more Goƻter tonics? It's a good day.


The next stop of the day was to see our tattoo guy, Chris, at Low Tide Tattoos for my newest ink - a cat paw. Something I haven't talked much about here just yet is about the passing of my sweet kitty, Tully, back in December. The reader's digest version is that he developed lymphoma last year, and it was just a matter of time before it took over his body. We had to put him to sleep just after Thanksgiving, and god help me, it was one of the hardest things I've had to do. I still think about him everyday.

When he started getting sicker, I decided that I wanted to eventually "commemorate" him with a tattoo of his paw print. The interesting part was actually getting the print, but after several tries (and lots of wet food as incentive), I was able to get a few decent ones. It took me a few months to actually schedule an appointment, but I was feeling especially inspired last week and set something up for midday Friday.

I sent Chris two of the best paw prints - and seeing as he's also done five out of my seven tattoos - I trusted him completely with it. And guys? It's beautiful.


A close up shows you a bit more detail - great shading that gives the effect of a real paw. I love that I now have a little piece of him wherever I go.

I ended the day with a fabulous little visit from my brotha-from-a-different-motha Eric (AKA, one of my best friends from Philly). The reason? Flogging Molly was in town!


Going to shows is a favorite pastime, and I seriously wish I had more time (and money) to go to more. This one definitely helped give me my fix, at least for the winter! We also got our dance on a bit after the show, which is another necessity for my life. Shows + dancing = one happy lady.


But anyway. Now onto the most important part of this post. We need to talk about these brownies.


I love brownies. I crave them frequently. I refuse to cut them, and much prefer to eat them out of the pan with a spoon.


Thing is, gluten-free brownies are a bit of a trick. I've only bought boxed versions before, and only 1 out of 3 of those actually came out fairly decent. But I felt so gross after eating them. Such dilemmas of a sweet-tooth.

So when I was browsing Pinterest the other day, I was intrigued by something labeled Black Bean Brownies. I mean.. I've heard of them before, but haven't had the balls to actually try 'em. A further look into this recipe showed that it was gluten-free.. and I was pretty much sold. I had all the ingredients on hand.. so why not give 'em a go? My only qualm was the amount of added white sugar - 3/4 cup of the stuff was enough to make me cringe. So I decided to take a chance and switch it up a bit - and OMG am I glad I did. These brownies are the perfect mixture of light and cakey but also rich and fudgey at the same time. How? No idea. But it works!

And no, you can't taste the beans! SO GO MAKE THESE NOW.

bb brownies
*gluten free, dairy free, free of added sugar

14oz low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained (just under a can)
4 egg whites*
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey*
1/2 tsp oil
1 TBSP unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fresh ground coffee
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350deg. Coat 9x9 pan with butter/oil/your grease of choice.

Combine all ingredients but chocolate chips into food processor. Blend well.

Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
*do not leave these out!

Pour into pan, and top with remaining chocolate chips.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Wait for brownies to cool completely (this is SO. HARD.), then cut, serve, and be amazed!

*The original recipe called for 2 whole eggs, and 3/4 cup of sugar. I subbed both of these for slightly healthier versions, and I was very pleased!

*The balsamic vinegar reacts with the baking soda + powder and allows the batter to rise - omit this for a slightly fudgier brownie. The coffee brings out the chocolate flavor.

No comments: