Saturday, February 15, 2014

Wine.

A while back, I was rambling about new opportunities coming my way - and to be a bit more specific, I was talking about a potential position at a local winery. Back then, I wasn't quite sure if or how any of it would work out, but here I am, months later, excited to tell y'all that it clearly did.

(I've been to Texas, so I'm allowed to say y'all now. Right..?)

Anyway, I'm happy as a peach to say that I've expanded my resume a bit and am currently an official team member of Great Shoals WineryIt may seem a little odd.. a massage therapist and health coach who moonlights at a winery.. but guys? If you haven't guessed.. I love wine. Like, love-love. And I whole-heartedly believe that I can be all health-guru-ish, but still enjoy some libations when my little heart desires.


Now WHO wants a backstory?!




While the actual winery is in Eastern Maryland on the bay, Great Shoals also has a tasting room just down the street from our house at the local farm. So.. my commute is a breeze.

Now as I mentioned, I'm still doing my massage & health coaching gigs, but when this opportunity came up, I really couldn't let it pass me by. Not only am I in the tasting room a few Saturday's per month, but I've sort of officially-unofficially become their "wedding & events liaison", with my main concern being the sparkling, champagne style wines.

So basically, they are willing to pay me for dealing with weddings and champagne..?! Um, yea, ok. Done deal.


Now if you're willing to bare with me for another hot minute, the full backstory to this is actually quite good. It's all a very kismet sort of situation, which I'm such a cornball for. The whole "you get what you put out" theory is really proving itself, here.


So a few years ago, Scot and I went to the local farmers market with our pup and happened to meet another young couple out and about with their pup. The dogs got along great, as did we with the couple. It was actually quite exciting, as our pup basically helped us "pick up" some new friends that day. Couple dating.. it's a thing.

We eventually went our separate ways, but both happened to find ourselves back at the farmers market area later that day for a local wine festival. Once we managed to reconnect, we wine booth-hopped for a bit, eventually landing a winery that was pouring samples of different hard ciders, as well as a warm, mulled wine. What stood out for me was the uniqueness of this winery - they had a large variety of fruit ciders and sparkling wines, but they were all dry. You really don't find that much at all, especially with Maryland wineries.

Our couple friends - Matt and Meg - realized pretty quickly that this winery was based very close to their bay house, and they made a connection with the winemaker that day. We all had a great time, I was a bit buzzed (what?!), and that was that.

Fast forward a couple of years. Scot and I discover a local spot - Heyser Farms - by chance when looking for a place to get a Christmas tree, who also sells an incredible amount of regional produce and homemade goods. We quickly started going there at least twice a month for our fruits, veggies, and fresh pasta.

About 7 months later, we actually ended up moving just under a mile from said farm, making our shopping a heck of a lot easier. We then eventually noticed new signs around the place, mentioning a winery and tasting room within in the farm. And believe you me, I was stoked.

I remember tasting the wines and ciders, and thinking to myself how familiar it all was. I got to know the folks who worked there, chatted them up about the history of the winery, and eventually put two and two together - this was the same winery we tried a while back at the wine festival. The same winery that Matt and Meg live near - next door to, actually. The same winery that they visit regularly and help make said wine with the winemaker. I mean, really.. what are the odds??

So one weekend, when we are at the farm purely for food related reasons, the winemaker asks if I would like to help pour at the upcoming Maryland Wine Festival (big deal stuff), as they were short a few people and he has seen me in and out of the winery a bit. I signed up immediately - wouldn't you know that Matt and Meg were also at the event! - and apparently I made quite the impression, as the winemaker then asked me to come on board to work in both the tasting room and as the wedding/event liaison.

He asked, and I said yes! Duh.


Things are still in the early stages.. I've done a few events, I've written an introductory bridal newsletter, and I'm in the tasting room on occasion (less lately due to the cold weather).. but I'm optimistic. And I get discounts on wine!

But I think the main question here is.. have you ever "picked up" couple friends??

No comments: