Thursday, January 22, 2015

Number Nine

This past Tuesday, I somewhat impulsively added to my body's art collection with my ninth tattoo. I say impulsively in that I didn't necessarily have this particular new piece planned for a very long time (as many of my others have been), but it is by no means lesser in meaning or stature.


I've hinted a few times since I started this blog back up that things have been a bit tough lately; life has been seriously testing me for the past several months (or, let's be honest.. most of 2014). I'm starting to find my footing again, trying to move forward despite continual setbacks, and really what I have to go on is whatever faith I can find and a sense of hope.. which isn't always easy to muster.

Anyway, I came across this quote a while back.

An arrow can only be shot by pulling backward; when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it is merely getting ready to launch you into something great.

And it rang so incredibly true to my life right now. Call it basic, call it trendy, I really don't give a flying eff. This arrow symbolizes more to me than words can fully describe. I feel like I'm on the verge of something - and hopefully it's something great - but I can't possibly get there without I'm going through now. I wouldn't be put through this life if I couldn't handle it - I firmly believe that. Sure, it may suck. I may be blessed with a bad string of luck while others around me seem to sail along; who knows. All I know is that all my past experiences, good and bad, have made me into the person I am today, and everything I'm experiencing now will just help me evolve into the person I'll be tomorrow, next month, next year.

Life, man. Challenging shit.

((Disclaimer: yes this arrow is on my spine, but it really wasn't too bad. I asked my artist if I was crazy and he told me that compared to the tattoos I got on my foot and ribs.. this would be a breeze. Glad to know I always insist on the worst spots to put ink.))

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love how it turned out!!! So amazing. Such an inspiration. I totally believe that rough patches are so good for us and really help to launch us into greatness and you are definitely launching into greatness!! The beginning of 2014 was complete shit for me as well, and as things really picked up in the summer it was such a nice breath of fresh air and really brought me such humbling perspective as to why I went through what I did.