Thursday, October 10, 2013

Healthy(ish) Eggplant Parm

When I tell people that there's a farm down the street from where we live, I usually get looked at like I have five heads, and the general response is: "WHERE in Maryland ARE you?!". Truth is, we are only about 10 miles north of downtown DC (about 5 to the actual DC border) - so don't worry, we're not that rural. Still definitely in suburbia, but not all country-like like when one thinks of farm. (In my mind, at least.)

Anyway, this farm is the best. We actually discovered it last year when we were searching for local places to get our Christmas tree, ended up going back regularly for weekly produce, and just so happened to move down the street from it this past June.  They sell all sorts of fresh, local produce, and even have a chicken coop and apple orchard on site. When we go, we usually end up getting the same few things each week - tomatoes, onions, apples, potatoes, some form of squash for me, fresh pasta for Scot, etc. This is more a result of habit, as well as the Mr. not being terribly adventurous with his vegetables. I always resist buying something different or off the beaten path because, more often then not, it goes unused when I can't find a good recipe to put it in that he won't only eat, but enjoy. Men are weird.

But I said eff it this week, and got some beets and some eggplant. The beets have yet to find their way into a meal, but the eggplant? Oh my gosh, you guys. The eggplant.


We happened to have a whole bunch of scrumptious, leftover meaty marinara sauce that I made a few days earlier, that I knew would go perfectly in the form of eggplant parm. Scot seemed up for the challenge, so I went with it.



The first (only?) thing you need to you know is that you seriously can't beat farm-fresh eggplant. It would sucker-punch all the "it's too sliiiimy" nay-sayers in their butts. Because it's not slimy. It's tender and delicious and perfect. Pair that with the homemade marinara and a bit of leftover rice, and I was in healthy(ish) dinner heaven. Scot didn't even complain about it too much.. which makes it a win in my book!



((You can find the recipes for the eggplant parm here and the marinara sauce here!))

1 comment:

Amy said...

I've recently taken a liking to beets! Eggplants are still one of my scary vegetables.

Beets are really good if you roast them like a potato. I also have made a beet salad - I boiled them in quarters for about 30 minutes (still firm, but you can poke a fork through them), then I sliced them and let them cool. Very yummy with some goat cheese, tomatoes, and some balsamic. Kind of like a caprese salad. That's more for a girl taste... Joel loves them roasted.