Friday, January 24, 2014

green eggs & a snow day

..because I don't eat ham!

So the DC area was hit by a whopping 6-8 inches of snow this past week, which, without fail, shuts the whole area down for at least a day or two.

When I officially called it a snow day and closed down work at 8am, it looked like this outside.


Anticipatory? A bit. But you have to understand that a mid-day snowstorm caused a 13 hour traffic jam in DC back in 2011. People here simply don't know how to deal with snow, much less driving in it, and you really just kind of have to embrace it. So I did.



And see? It actually did snow quite a bit! Well.. eventually.



A bit earlier in the day, I made a quick trip to the local grocery store (along with everyone else) to grab a few things for a yummy brunch for Scot and I, plus some things I was just craving (yes, wine was part one of them). In front of me in line, a guy had a carton of whole milk and two frozen biscuit containers. Behind me, a woman had two loaves of bread, pizza bites, 2 bags of Doritos, and soda. Then there was me.. with my mixed greens, tomato, mushrooms, and avocado. #snowstormpriorities

Anyhoo, brunch was delicious - I made a healthy(ish) crustless, egg white quiche with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and turkey bacon. Definitely negated the OJ-less mimosas we had to go along with it.

One thing we always stock up on is eggs - we had a few cartons of pure egg whites left over from when the in-laws were in town over Christmas (hence, brunch), but we also pick up farm-fresh eggs at the local farm every week as well. Since we were more than stocked up this week, I decided to keep the egg thing going and make a kind of souped-up egg salad to help nourish me over the next few days as well. I mean.. I had an avocado I needed to use!

First off, my most favorite way of hard boiling eggs is that handy little oven trick I learned on Pinterest.


Oven to 325, eggs in a muffin tin, "bake" for 30 minutes. One thing I learned is that larger, brown eggs tend to need a few minutes extra. And viola! Hard boiled eggs.

Now egg salad is pretty basic - peel the eggs, separate the whites and the yolks, chop up the whites, etcetera. Where I switched up was the creamy base for the salad.


Instead of the standard many yolks + mayo base, I used one avocado, just a few yokes, one tablespoon mayo, a squirt of lime juice, salt, pepper, and dill.


Once mashed and mixed, I added that plus some onion into the chopped up whites.


 Now this on its own was good, but I like some spice.. on everything. So I turned to my staple Dinosaur Cajun Foreplay spice rub for a little kick!


Throw some lettuce, sprouts, and tomatoes together, and I had another scrumptious, eggy meal!




By the way - it baffles my mind that some people don't like egg salad. I think Scot tried it for the first time over Thanksgiving, and THANK GOD he loved it. So it gives me more desire to make it, especially when it's with a healthy twist!

Avocado Egg Salad

12 hard boiled eggs whites
1/3 onion
2 hard boiled egg yokes
1 avocado
1 tablespoon mayo
1 tablespoon lime juice
.5 teaspoon salt
.5 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dill
optional: dash of heat, such as Dinosaur spice rub!

Chop egg whites and onion and place in bowl off to side.

In another bowl, mash together the remaining ingredients.

Add the avocado mixture to the egg whites and stir until evenly coated and creamy.

Enjoy over some greens or as is!








1 comment:

Amy said...

OMG i love egg salad with avo - and never thought of putting over salad. Doing that ASAP. Yum!!