Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hey, Goüter!

Well, I'm still alive, so that's a good sign.


As I'm writing this, I have one more tonic to go on day 3 - the last day of my little cleanse.

How am I feeling? Pretty good, actually.
Am I excited to digest some delicious noms tomorrow.. not in tonic form? Hells. Yes.

{I actually had a dream about tortilla chips last night. It was delightful.}

Now I have to admit that I tend to have a flair for the overdramatic on occasion. So despite my musings, you must know that no, I was never rolling around crying and thinking "omg I'm so hangryyyyyy". Did my tummy grumble a bit? Sure. But it does every day. Did I occasionally wish I could have a nice, fresh salad? You bet. But did I make it through.. and dare I say, enjoy it?.. absolutely.



Day One
I have to say, day one was actually a bit of a breeze. I think it helped that I was working all day, as the length and time of my massage sessions helped space out the tonics pretty well.


I kept waiting to get hungry, but it never really happened. I want to throw a disclaimer out there that I did just start a new form of birth control on Tuesday, so I'm not ruling out the possibility that my body was/is still adjusting to that. I had a bit of heartburn.. which is odd, since the base alkaline water in the tonics is one of the best remedies for heartburn.. so I'm not sure what that was about. But overall, I don't think I ever really felt hungry on day one.

The highlight of my day, though, was when I got to imbibe on tonic #6 (aka Nourish). It's a delicious blend of alkaline water, hemp seeds, dates, vanilla, cinnamon, cacao, and spirulina. Basically, it tastes like a mix between iced coffee & a Wendy's frosty. Holy yum, batman!

Day Two
I started out my second day with the tonic #1 (Awake) and a heated yoga class. I was a bit nervous about how I'd fare during the class, but it went rather well - I had energy, I felt great, and I didn't burn out. I had my second tonic around noon, and nothing on my agenda to do until 6pm. I see this as both a blessing and a curse - I didn't sleep well the night before, so it gave me time to chill, but it also made me realize my stomach was growling way more than the day before and all I wanted was the time to go faster so I could have my next tonic. However, once I got to #4 (aka Balance), I started feeling more satiated. I was able to space out #5 and #6 pretty well, and wasn't craving much at that point.

Now I need to give myself props for a second, because I ended up working an event at our local winery on day two and let me tell you - putting a wine-o-phile like me at an event like this, while on a cleanse? Ugh, it was hard. But I conquered!


Day Three
Arlet, the owner of extend yoga, assured me that day three would be a breeze. And it was, more or less. Although I did have a moment of weakness midday, after tonic #2 (Detox), where I wanted to say eff it to my beloved Nourish tonic at the end of the day and make a nice dinner for the hubs and I. This was more out of a desire to cook and eat together, since we haven't for the past few days.. and that makes the dorky mush in me sad! But.. I'm no quitter. I clearly got a bit nosh-y around this time, but again, similar to day two, it dissipated after tonic #4. What magic is that stuff?! (Technically, it's a blend of alkaline water, lemon, cayenne, aloe vera, and spirulina. And magic, of course.)

So tomorrow will see me reintroducing more solid food into my diet, which I tried to prepare for ahead of time. I have some super fresh butternut squash soup that I made just before the cleanse, and picked up few more juice/mylk's from Puree Juice Bar on my way home from work today (I think I've got a new obsession). The fridge is stocked with arugula, kale, brussles sprouts, and zucchini noodles. My tea collection is going strong. I'm feeling good about a clean, fresh start to my daily diet!

The Wrap Up

1. Know that there are a billion cleanse options out there, and a billion opinions on those cleanses. This one seemed right for me right now, and I liked that it was chock full of nutrition. I did not starve myself. I did not lose 10 pounds (but probably around 3 of water weight). If you ever decide to do a cleanse, do your research, and listen to your body!

2. I'm so happy I did this in the winter, because I lived for my hot tea between every tonic.

3. If your husband is like mine, he will make delicious looking and smelling pasta with creamy cheese, sit next to you on the couch, and offer you a bite every five minutes. Tell him to go. away.

4. Water is your best friend. But not when all you're doing all day is drinking it in different forms and wake up three times a night to go to the bathroom.

5. I haven't had coffee or much caffeine in over a week.. and I've realized that I don't need it. It's a good feeling!

No comments: