Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A pre-cleanse "cleanse". Say what?!

So I had a fairly lovely holiday season. It involved a lot of wine. And food. (As most things in my life do.)

Cue: photo montage.



Now despite the good times, now that it's all over, I've been left feeling a bit.. at capacity. Generally blah (scientifically speaking).

I do my best to eat right and not over-do it, but I think I took a lot of the stress of 2013 and just dumped it into my holiday celebrations. Which is great - we all deserve to enjoy life in whatever way we want to. But my body just isn't used to it all. On top of that, I didn't go to yoga for about a month due to various circumstances (that I can justify all I want, but really, why couldn't I get my butt to at least a class or two?!).

All of this is to say that I have decided to do a juice cleanse.

Dun dun dun.


So I've never done this before. I've always been intrigued, but I've always been terrified of being hungry all the time and hating the juices and wasting all this money on something that just wasn't worth it.

Then my fave yoga spot, extend yoga, started carrying Gouter. Which is not pronounced "gouter".. I think it's "goo-tay" or something equally fancy. It means "to taste" in French. Ooh la la.

I tried one, and it wasn't too shabby. I spoke to the owner of Extend, who vouches for the cleanses and is currently on her second one. And I thought about how gross I've been feeling lately, and signed myself up. I pick the juices up tonight and start tomorrow!

All this is to say that I've been attempting to do a pre-cleanse-cleanse over the past few days to help my body adapt a bit better. The most impressive thing is that I've cut out alcohol for over three days now - a recent record. It's not that I'm a crazy lush, I just really like my wine, and usually have a glass or so a night with dinner. Science says it's ok.

I've also cut out coffee, but still get a small bit of caffeine from a cup or two of green tea each day. I've cleaned up my diet a bit, as well - focusing more on fresh greens and juices, and cut out anything processed entirely. This is actually how I typically eat, but again - the holidays totally messed with me this year, despite my best efforts. Really, I just needed an excuse - like said upcoming cleanse - to get my butt in gear.


So wish me luck.. and of course I'm going to keep y'all updated as I go along!

Have you ever tried a cleanse before, juice or otherwise? How'd it go??

1 comment:

Amy said...

I've done my fair share of attempts - the only one I've ever actually stuck to was the Whole 30 - I need to figure out the time to start my next one... but I've been stalling. Whole 30 is paleo on crack, so I've basically been trying to eat paleo... then yesterday I had a gf sandwich with lunch meat, and today i had gf toast with breakfast. What can ya do... and I've definitely reintroduced my addiction to candy because yesterday I ate a bag of it. Oops.

I hope your cleanse goes super well!