Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Must Try for July: Rosemary Gin Fizz

Happy July 1st! Otherwise commonly known 'round these parts as my birthday month. Since I'm not quite 30 just yet, I'm still claiming the right to have a birthday month, and not just week (or, heaven forbid, a mere day). Too bad I have nothing planned just yet.. pout.

But anyway, seeing as it's the beginning of July, it is also the official start of the 30 Day Blog Challenge - which I think calls for a cocktail. Don't you agree?!


See, my fantastic husband decided that he really loves gardening - a hobby that I 100% support. He started with a small indoor garden at our old place two years ago (which, honestly, with the grow lights,  made it look like we had a certain operation going on inside the house) (which we didn't, just to be clear). Once we moved to our current duplex - one with a beautiful yard that we know we will be at for at least a few years - he decided to build a more permanent garden outside.


Needless to say, it has grown immensely in the past couple of months. I'm actually kind of impressed at his green thumb.. Lord knows I certainly don't posses this trait.


There's zucchini, cucumbers (for pickling!), tomatoes, corn, lettuce, broccoli, bell peppers, jalapeƱo peppers, and.. a whole lotta of rosemary.


We've been using it here and there, but tend to veer more towards our fresh basil as herb of choice for most dishes. After contemplating our rosemary-related options with a few friends, we came up with the (genius) idea to use it as an accent to a delicious summery cocktail, a la an infused simple syrup. Hence, the Rosemary Gin Fizz was born.

If you like gin.. and you like rosemary.. this is a must try for July!


What other herbs do you think would make good cocktail mixers??

9 comments:

Tabitha said...

Yummy! I love fresh herbs in cocktails (basil and rosemary are my favorites). Can't wait to try this!

Unknown said...

This is definitely getting pinned onto my cocktail board- I bet the juniper flavors of the gin go really well with the rosemary. Thanks for the idea!

Kato Potato said...

Why didn't I start the challenge with a cocktail?? :) Sadly I'm avoiding gin for now because of gluten, but I would be all over this drink otherwise!!

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

Confession: I've never tried gin. Well, I think I sipped a gin and tonic once and didn't like it. Do you think a gin fizz would be a better introduction?

steph c said...

@Katie - I didn't even realize the potential for gin to still contain gluten! I'm sensitive to it myself, but Tanqueray has never seemed to bother me, personally.

@Jeannine - I think anything with tonic definitely takes a certain taste for it.. I would try the cocktail with club soda and see what you think!

Kato Potato said...

Yeah, distilled alcohols should be OK for most celiacs, but I'm avoiding the grain based ones for the first year to detox from gluten and then see how I react later. I hope I can enjoy gin later! It's so tasty!!

Unknown said...

That looks soooo yummy! I'm a fan of fresh mint in my cocktails but will need to try rosemary!

Unknown said...

OMG, PUT THIS IN MY MOUTH. I love Gin and Tonics and I adore rosemary. And I especially love ways to use rosemary in unexpected ways! You should try this with thyme, too, if you grow it. YUM.
PS: you might want to consider including your blog name on your recipe card. That way it's harder for people to save and steal and use on their own... and it gets your name out there more! xoox

Shayla @ Northern Exposure said...

This sounds awesome! Rosemary is one of my favourite herbs (it's awesome in shortbread).

I laughed at the grow light comment - my husband wants to grow peppers over winter, with grow lights, in our basement. Can't look much worse than that. ;)