Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Vitamix Christening: Rosemary Pumpkin Hummus

I'm not sure a better combination of words exists than that. Maybe if I threw "wine" in there somewhere, it could get better. Mmm. Wine.

Anyway, my lovely husband has been hearing me harp on and on about a Vitamix blender for a few years now - especially after I went to nutrition school and learned more about the magic of juicing and smoothies. I mean.. it does everything. Especially when being compared to our 6-year old Magic Bullet or the CuisinArt Blender that got destroyed by a cat last year.

But alas - they are expensive. Really, really expensive.

So when Scot saw an online deal for 20% off a certified refurbished Vitamix through their website, he jumped all over that knowing full well it would win him super bonus points if this were my birthday gift. (Which it did. Until he convinced me a week later to get another dog.. so now we're even, heh.)

What I find amusing is the automatic connotation Vitamix has of being a "healthy" appliance - especially in today's green juice obsessed world. And the recipe book that came with the blender boasts that with your new kitchen toy, you can eat healthier than ever. Except, when you look through the book, half the recipes call for some sort of heavy cream or processed sugar of some sort. Umm.. no thank you.


So I was left with the decision of what to christen my new bad boy with. Or, more like: what ingredients did I already have that could be whipped together to make a tasty but healthy treat?


Well, I had chick peas. So I figured I could fudge the rest of the ingredients and make some sort of hummus - every health nuts favorite go-to protein-packed dip! (I must admit, I actually went through a phase a few years ago where I had so. much. hummus. that I got a bit sick of it for a while. I didn't start craving it again until a few months ago, and now I'm back on that MUST HAVE HUMMUS kick. I don't want it go away!!)


I also had lots of rosemary from the garden, so that was an obvious and easy add-in. Then I discovered some cans of pumpkin puree in the pantry.. and we all know how much I love pumpkin.

This could work!


*recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum

A quick note: I decided to add in some roasted garlic (because hi.. roasted garlic). I didn't have any pre-roasted (and wasn't going to spend an hour waiting for a head to roast), so I quickly faux-roasted some pre-crushed garlic in a sauté pan for a few minutes, then combined everything. Magical, I tell you!


And then I proceeded to eat my creation with a spoon. No shame.

Do you have a favorite go-to hummus recipe? Do share - my Vitamix needs more use!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I STILL haven't made hummus. It seems to be that super simple thing that I fail at miserably.

I love my Vitamix though, it's incredible!

One of my favourite things I've made... is a mojito slushie. Not my healthiest moment but they're soooo good!

Jennifer Vanderbeek said...

Out go-to hummus adds roasted red bell peppers and uses garlic-infused olive oil and it's a big hit among our friends. I also demonstrated how to make it "on the road" by just crushing everything up in a plastic bag and strangely enough, some folks liked the more "rustic" texture better. Go figure.

If you don't have tahini handy, I use sunbutter or some other nut butter in its place for that other crucial component of a true hummus.

steph c said...

@Amy - oh. my. gosh. Mojito slushy?! Sounds amaze!!

@Scraps - I love the idea of the "on the road" hummus - so intrigued to see what it's like! I do like a more "chunky" texture to things (even though I hate that word lol) - must try!

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

We are totally those people who eat way, way too much hummus. I mean, we probably buy two packages every week.

I should probably learn to make it, right?