Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What I'm Loving Wednesday

I always try and be different and do these "themed" posts a different day than everyone else, and I really just have to stop that. Popular and catchy themes are popular and catchy for a reason. So here goes.


1. My new hair!


Yes.. I cut it. Again. I'm pretty sure I completely change my style almost every time I go in.. and despite my assumption that my stylist may want to kill me at some point, I actually think she loves me more for it. Keeps her on her toes! All I know is that I am so, so happy to have it short again.

2. Goûter Tonics


Goûter (goo-tay) is a super local DC company that makes some fabulous alkaline water tonics. I actually did a 3-day cleanse of 6 tonics a day back in January, and I'm happy to say that I still love pretty much all of their products. It definitely helps that they keep coming out with new ones, like this months Refresh (featuring watermelon, mint, and chia seeds) and Salted Melon (featured cantaloupe, mint, himalayan salt, and chia seeds). Their business plan is also kind of interesting- they don't have a website (just a Facebook page), and mostly rely on bringing and selling their products to local yoga/Pilates studios and some local organic markets. Hey, I'm all for supporting local!!

3. Teeccino


Speaking of yummy drinks.. I'm also back on a Teecino (tea-CHEE-no) kick. Basically, it's all the satisfaction of having coffee.. but without the coffee (and caffeine and acidity). Now of course it's not exactly the same, but it's a pretty darn good replacement that comes in some pretty yummy flavors. I just tried the Dandelion Caramel Nut yesterday (organic carob, organic chicory, organic dandelion, dates, almonds, natural caramel nut flavor, organic figs), and it's a good variance from my usual French Roast option (organic carob, organic barley, organic chicory, organic ramon nuts, natural coffee flavor).

So while I'm definitely a tea nut (you should SEE my collection), I do find myself opting for this a couple times a week instead (although it's technically a tea as well). Especially when I randomly start craving coffee at 3pm but refuse to down that much caffeine. (Another side effect of getting older.. caffeine sensitively. WTF.)



This website has my pure, undying love right now. It's your standard Food/Drink/Recipe site.. but better. Just the amount of fun, interesting articles they have on wine alone has me hooked. Go check it out. Especially my new fave article: "3 Great Cocktails to Get you Loaded Whilst Juicing."



5. Planning our trip to Maine!


While planning a week-long trip on a super tight budget and having no idea about the area you're going to is kind of tough.. it's also incredibly exciting. Scot and I have started to realize that, in our almost 7 years together, we have really haven't ever gone away/on a vacation that was just the two of us, and just for us. We are always either staying with friends or family and basing our time away around that - even our honeymoon (aka Friendymoon) to Mexico was done with friends. Of course a lot of this has had to do with finances - we just don't have the dough to go on some of the vacations that our friends and family can.

Our solution was to finally take a week off this summer and do a road trip/bed and breakfast tour of Maine's coast. Scot's parents agreed to come down for a week to watch the animals - so we don't need to pay for a sitter or kennel - and the plan is to just sort of hop around Maine's highlights like Portland, the beaches, Midcoast, and Acadia. I'm still looking for someplace to stay in the Midcoast area.. so if you have suggestions of places to go and things to see, I'm all ears!!

(Also.. lobster. I CANNOT WAIT for all the lobster.)

What are you loving this week?

4 comments:

Kato Potato said...

Ah I've have heard so many great things about Maine. It's on my list! I heard there is great hiking there and omg all the lobster. Mmmm.

Also I am totally loving your short dos! I want to chop my hair short as soon as my bangs finish growing out! :)

Amy said...

That's awesome you guys are going to Maine! Joel and I plan on doing a West Coast roadtrip honeymoon because we too have never been on vacation just us (and, nope not engaged yet haha). I'm just really excited about the honeymoon part.

Have you heard of Airbnb? I discovered it recently and it seems like a super affordable way to travel!

Also, I think it's awesome you're always changing your hair. I'm pretty boring in that I have long straight hair, or a short straight bob. OR I have in between the two. haha

Those Gouter drinks look amazing!! I wish I could try one!

Unknown said...

Teeccino sounds really interesting! I've been trying to limit my coffee intake.

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

We used to spend part of our summer in Maine when I was a kid. I love Kennebunk and Ogunquit the best. Basically, all of York County is amazing...and not too far up into the state.

I'm jealous of how awesome your meals are going to be! :)

Oh, and your hair looks awesome!!!