Thursday, July 3, 2014

Self-expression a la Hair (aka, what I do when I'm bored)

A few things about me:

- I love me some big, flashy earrings. It is rare that you will find me without dangly earrings of some sort hanging from my lobes.
- I believe that a classic nude pump should be a staple in every woman's closet (along with the LBD, of course).
- Changing my hair is one of my favorite forms of self-expression (aka, I get bored quickly and change it.. a lot).

So about that last one..

You may have noticed that I am a natural red-head/ginger/vampire/whatever you may like to call it. My natural color veers towards the strawberry-blonde end of the spectrum, almost more orange than true red. It took me a really long time to grow to love the fact that I'm a natural ginger.. it's definitely been a love/hate relationship.


Growing up, I was always threatened to never dye or do anything unnatural to my hair because it was "so pretty just the way it is!". So I grew up terrified to do anything to it. I mean.. dye? What?! Do you want me to KILL my lustrous locks? Bae, please.

Until one day in 10th grade (ultimately coinciding with my pop-punk phase.. yay 2001 Good Charlotte!) when I decided that I absolutely MUST dye just the under part of my hair Manic Panic blue. You know the shade. Of course, I had to bleach my hair first in order for the color to show.

(Gahhhh I can't find a picture!!)

Needless to say.. Mama Bear wasn't too thrilled with me. I mean, I was a dancer. What dancer has blue hair? Pout.

Anyway, it eventually faded and then grew out. I left my hair untouched for quite some time after that, until about 2010 when I decided to revisit the under-color, but with black this time.

See it? See it? See it?

I actually quite enjoyed it. And then, in 2012, I made the big plunge and actually dyed my whole head of hairs.. a deeper shade of red. Like I mentioned, I did actually grow to love having red hair.. I'm just still not a huge fan of the shade. Luckily, that's easily fixable and lo and behold.. red on red actually produces a fairly natural looking hue!

Yep - it was dyed for the wedding!

But this isn't just about color. I also very much enjoy growing my hair out, then chopping it all off. It's like a vicious cycle.


Long, then short, then long, then short, then long, then a perm, then short, then super duper short, and now a cute little asymmetrical bob that may either grow to be long again, or be chopped back into a pixie cut, depending on my mood at my next appointment.

But I supposed the most recent update would be this one:


A purple panel on one side! I'm obsessed.

Anyone else have hair ADD? What's your favorite cut/style to rock?

4 comments:

Kato Potato said...

Awww awesome! I feel like I can't do crazy colours since I have a big girl job, but I miss having fire engine red hair!!

Unknown said...

I also waffle my colors, various shades of red and blond, and recently switched my hair from waist length to chin length. It's just hair, and mine grows so easily! I wanted to add, though, that I thought your coppery wedding hair was my favorite, but then I saw the purple, and I adore it! Hmm, maybe time for me to think of adding some non-traditional color as well :)

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

I got the same "threats" when I was younger. When my mother found out I had a bottle of Sun In (so 80s!), she wasn't pleased.

I also love dramatic cuts. What's the point of a visit to the salon if people won't notice?

I have to say that I have always loved your cuts! You are a bit more brave than I am. :)

Anonymous said...

I like the purple! I have been working up the courage to dye my hair red but not sure if I will ever take the plunge.